Their next project included making sunflower bowls out of clay. This is especially exciting since this is the first class of the year to use clay that will be fired in our new kiln!
Steps to create a Sunflower Bowl:
1. Each student starts with a fist sized lump of clay.
2. Wedge clay as usual (to get all the air bubbles out!)
3. Roll the clay into 14"slabs using rolling pins and two guide sticks (this will help to get an even slab).
4. Using a pencil, or other pointy tool, lightly draw a sunflower onto the clay (making sure not to puncture the slab!).
4. Use a sharp trimming tool to cut the outline of the sunflower.
5. Smooth the rough edges with one finger and a little water.
6. Lay plastic wrap inside of a disposable paper bowl. Lay your clay sunflower inside the bowl and gently press it down to take its new shape.
7. Dry for several days before firing in the kiln.
Take a look at this post Glazing 101!Pin It